This informative post will be posted on Saturday along with my usual writing. You are invited to participate with the opening question.
Brain Teaser Question
Complete the analogy: HELMET is to HEAD as . . .
a) SWORD is to WARRIOR
b) UMBRELLA is to CLOTHING
c) SHOE is to SOCK
d) WATCH is to WRIST
e) THIMBLE is to FINGER
(answer found at the end of this post)
Astronauts have been called the sailors of the stars. For as long as people have gazed up into the heavens, they have dreamed of traveling in space.
In 1961, the first people journeyed from Earth’s atmosphere into outer space. The space race between the United States and the USSR (Union of Soviet Socialist Republics) was on.
The following list offers “firsts” in terms of space travel:
- First man in space: Yuri Gagarin (USSR), 1961.
- First American in space: Alan Shepard, 1961.
- First to orbit Earth: John Glenn (USA), 1962.
- First woman in space: Valentina Tereshkova (USSR), 1963.
- First walk in space: Alexei Leonov (USSR), 1965.
- First to orbit the Moon: Frank Borman, James Lovell, William Anders (USA), 1968.
- First walk on the Moon: Neil Armstrong and Edwin “Buzz” Aldrin (USA), 1969.
- First American woman in space: Sally Ride, 1983.
Answer to Brain Teaser Question
A helmet is worn on the head to protect the head, just as a thimble is worn on a finger to protect the finger.